Premier Susan Holt says new supplies of U.S. liquor will not return to New Brunswick store shelves until the U.S. lowers tariffs on softwood lumber and other sectors. And, according to Alcohol NB numbers, New Brunswickers have been reluctant to buy even the remaining stock in the province.
Holt says she wants to see reductions in existing tariffs on lumber

Erica Butler · CBC News
· Posted: Aug 19, 2026 4:57 PM EDT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago
Listen to this article
Estimated 3 minutes
The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.
New Brunswick Premier Susan Holt said there will be no end to an import ban on U.S. alcohol unless “the U.S. does something to take us back to the free and fair trade we used to have.” (Pierre Fournier/CBC)
Premier Susan Holt says she won’t allow more American liquor on New Brunswick store shelves until the U.S. lowers tariffs on softwood lumber and other products.
U.S. President Donald Trump called for an end to booze bans in Canadian provinces when he threatened his latest round of tariffs on a long list of Canadian goods in July.
But Holt said she wants to see tariffs imposed last year rolled back before she considers concessions.
This story was brought to Nouzie by RSS. The original post can be found on https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/no-return-us-booze-without-tariff-relief-9.7312951?cmp=rss




