Fredericton Police overdose calls have tripled since 2023 | CBC News

0
1 day ago
fredericton-police-overdose-calls-have-tripled-since-2023-|-cbc-newsFredericton Police overdose calls have tripled since 2023 | CBC News

New Brunswick

As of Nov. 1, the Fredericton Police Force responded to 162 overdoses, compared to 54 as of the same date in 2023. Overdose fatalities have also tripled, with nine so far this year compared to three in 2023.

Public safety committee chair wants federal government to crack down on drug crime

Silas Brown · CBC News

· Posted: Nov 27, 2025 4:51 PM EST | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

Text to Speech Icon

Listen to this article

Estimated 3 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by text-to-speech, a technology based on artificial intelligence.

Man in police uniform stands at podiumFredericton Police chief Gary Forward said the increase in overdoses is tying up police resources. (Silas Brown/CBC)

The Fredericton Police Force has responded to three times as many overdoses so far this year as it had by this point in 2023.

Chief Gary Forward said the sharp rise in overdose-related calls has been difficult for the force to handle. 

“Police are trying to perform regular duties in their bid to keep the city safe and when we are attending more of these calls, obviously, the officers are responding to matters that are of a very serious nature,” he said.

He said because of the increase, it’s necessary to make sure proper partnerships with emergency services are in place and that officers have appropriate training for these types of calls.

 » Read More


This story was brought to Nouzie by RSS. The original post can be found on https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/fredericton-police-overdose-9.6994982?cmp=rss

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *